Volunteer Allotment Horticulture Assistant
Would you like to grow your own chemical free Vegetables, Fruit and Herbs?
Interested in spending time in a peaceful natural setting in the heart of Birmingham?
Do you have gardening skills you’d like to put into practice?
There are Volunteering opportunities at our Better Pathways Allotment which can be found adjacent to Cannon Hill Park in Moseley. This is a Permaculture project run by us to involve the local community in growing and eating fresh, chemical free food and to experience the wellbeing benefits of gardening and other eco based activities.
Attendance is flexible and tailored to individual circumstances with opportunities to attend Monday to Friday between 10am and 3pm, so whatever time you can give to the project whether it’s an hour a week or a few hours several times a week it will be your choice.
All equipment is supplied and sessions are facilitated by a qualified horticulturist who has worked within mental health for the last 28 years
Reports to: Propagation and Production Supervisor
Nature of Role
To assist with the propagation and cultivation of Vegetables, Fruit and Herbs and assist with site maintenance at the allotment.
- To receive and follow instructions from the relevant person in charge.
- To assist with Planning and Implementing growing plans.
- To assist with Sowing Seeds and Pricking Out to required standard.
- To Plant Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Plants in Beds.
- To Maintain crops.
- To Undertake Watering and Maintain Water Harvesting Equipment.
- To Prepare soil for Planting.
- To Undertake Hand Weeding.
- To Compost Green Waste.
- To Maintain Allotment Site.
- To work with the Veganic and Permaculture Principles of the Allotment.
- To complete any documentation required.
- To liaise with staff as required and report any information requested.
- To follow all health and safety requirements within the organisation.
- To participate in meetings as required.
- To undertake any other duties appropriate to the role.
Hours: Sessional between 10am and 3pm. Monday to Friday.
(To be arranged on an Individual basis)
If you are interested please fill in an application form and send it back to - email@example.com